Steps to become a member:
follow these instructions in order, also visualized on this flow chart.
If you do not follow these steps, you will not become a member.
Step 1: Determine your interest level
- Review what we offer (see our FAQ on the value of membership)
- Be prepared to be part of the solution
Step 2: Determine your membership eligibility
- You are at least 18 years old
- You are not listed in the national sex offender database
- You were never dishonorably discharged from the US military
- You consider yourself a member of the American military cyber profession, or you are interested in its development
- If you do meet the criteria, proceed to the next step
- If you do not meet the criteria, do not proceed to the next step. Consider making a monetary contribution or other form of support
Step 3: Determine your free membership eligibility
- You are an employee of the United States government (federal, state, or contracted cadets), or member of the state National Guard or Reserves -- and have a valid government email with .mil, .gov, or state or service academy extension (nps.edu, usma.edu, etc).
- You are an honorably discharged veteran (separated or retired) that can provide a scanned copy of a DD-214 from your current email address.
- Note that a contractor working for the government who does not meet one of the two categories above does not qualify for free membership solely on the basis of having a .mil or .gov email address.
- If you do meet the criteria, send a DIGITALLY-SIGNED blank email from your qualifying account to [email protected] and then proceed to the next step. If you're a veteran without a military/government email address that can be digitally signed, include your (PII covered/crossed-out) DD-214 in the email FROM YOUR CURRENT WORK ORG'S ACCOUNT (example @pwc.com, @google.com, @yale.edu, etc).
- If you do not qualify for free membership, pay for membership and then proceed to the next step
Step 4: Submit the Application Form (link opens into new tab/window)
- If you qualify for free membership, enter "plank holder" where prompted for payment code
- If you don't qualify for free membership, enter your PayPal-provided purchase confirmation code
- A message will appear after successfully completing the 3 page form. If not, try again.
- If applicable, be sure to record who told you about the MCPA. This helps us a lot and referrers may be recognized!
- Note: if you do not provide a gmail or Google-linked email address, you will miss out on many member benefits (see our FAQ)
Step 5: Get ready to join the team
- Recruit your friends and colleagues
- Our strength is our people. The value of MCPA membership increases with each new teammate.
- Effective recruiters will be recognized!
- Wait for confirmation
- Membership processing is not a fully automated process nor is approval guaranteed
- Processing cannot be completed unless you followed each of the above steps
- Once you're plugged in
- Explore the member-only resources (online and locally)
- Contribute to this innovative movement